Friday, December 3, 2010

Tidbits on Pomegranates


This fruit still amazes me....I remember the very first time
the pomegranate and I were introduced. My grandpa and I
sat together and I watched him carefully peel back the outer skin
and pull out the round berries. He watched in delight as I popped a
handful of berries in my mouth, chewed them up until there was
no juice left, and spit out all the seeds. As a child, I remember
thinking that he had come across some pretty amazing fruit!

Now, as I sit with my kids and we enjoy this sweet snack,
I am amazed at how my Creator made something so perfect.
Everything about a Pomegranate is so intricate and flavorful.
Each little aril (berry) is encompassed in a thin casing,
protecting each one. It's basically a flawless design!

Facts I discovered about Pomegranates:
Pomegranates were one of the fruits that the scouts brought back
to Moses to show that the promised land was fertile. In Exodus the
robe of the ephod, worn by the Hebrew High Priest had pome-
granates embroided on the hem. In the Book of Kings, the capitals
of the two pillars that stood in front of Solomon's Temple in
Jerusalem, were engraved with pomegranates. And....some
believe that the pomegranate was the forbidden fruit....but I am
going to choose to believe that it's just someone's opinion, because
I would have a really hard time eating and enjoying the
forbidden fruit!

And....they're actually pretty good for you!

Pomegranate, arils only
Nutritional value per 100 g (3.5 oz)
Energy346 kJ (83 kcal)
Carbohydrates18.7 g
Sugars13.7 g
Dietary fiber4.0 g
Fat1.2 g
Protein1.7 g
Thiamine (Vit. B1)0.07 mg (5%)
Riboflavin (Vit. B2)0.05 mg (3%)
Niacin (Vit. B3)0.29 mg (2%)
Pantothenic acid (B5)0.38 mg (8%)
Vitamin B60.08 mg (6%)
Folate (Vit. B9)38 μg (10%)
Vitamin C10 mg (17%)
Calcium10 mg (1%)
Iron0.30 mg (2%)
Magnesium12 mg (3%)
Phosphorus36 mg (5%)
Potassium236 mg (5%)
Zinc0.35 mg (3%)
Percentages are relative to US recommendationsfor adults.
Source: USDA Nutrient database


So...why not enjoy one today....even if its just a cool
science lesson for your kids!

1 comment:

  1. Hmmm....I've never had one, you may have inspired me :)
    Jen

    ReplyDelete