Wednesday, August 25, 2010

What it takes to be...beautiful!

I went and got my hair did, for the first time in two years....I guess my priorities are elsewhere! I did the whole shebang....highlights, new cut, and style! I think the last time I had highlights was in high school....maybe once in college....needless to say, its been a while. So I arrive....about 10 minutes early and read a few magazines, look around at products, look at a few more magazines, then the fun begins. We go back to decide what the outcome will be and she mixes the highlights, then proceeds to brush this goop in strands of my hair and cover them in tin foil. I feel like I am at a carnival, getting ready for my act. I look around hoping someone else has the foil wrappers in their hair too....ah ha....I'm not alone! Then finally I am finished with step one and now I wait....and wait....and wait. After about 10 minutes, I realize that my body is incapable of just sitting and relaxing. I have no kids and I cannot enjoy myself. I read a few more magazines, call my sister, scan the products for the second time, walk around, sit, read, walk around, call my sister...all in that order. Finally, she opens one of those foil wrappers to see if I'm done....nope, lets put you under the dryer....great! Now I get to sweat, and I really have no choice but to sit. Finally step two is complete and I head on over to that bowl. She pulls each wrapper out individually, and I try very hard not to squint....I feel like my scalp will rip off any minute, finally we rinse and wash, and head over to complete the third step...cut. My hair is down to my mid back, and I decide that I want to do layers...shes got a lot of cutting to do. Finally step three is complete....my head feels 10 pounds lighter, and as I look at the floor below me, I understand why! That is 2 years of hair on the floor! At this point I am really getting antsy....its t-minus 3 hours and counting....I figured I'd be in and out in an hour! And I feel terrible for leaving my kids with my sister on her last day off before school. I convince her to skip step four...styling...my stomach is growling, and I am way past due to pick my kids up! After 4 hours...a wet head....a bag full of products....and half of my husbands pay check gone.......I'm a new woman....I guess! I'm looking forward to 2012!

4 comments:

  1. Good for you Nicole - you deserve it! I haven't colored my hair yet, but as these white hairs keep popping up I probably will soon. Enjoy your new look and post a picture for us to see!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are hilarious! Your posts keep me on edge just like a great novel would others...and I DON'T LIKE TO READ!! Where did you go?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can't wait to see:) I'm sure you look great!
    ~J

    ReplyDelete