Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Wait...is that really My child????

I recently started teaching "Wee Rock" at our church on Sunday evenings. Its a childrens program based on music and bible verses. I've kinda had to tweak the program for the two year old class...obviously they are not at the level of memorizing bible verses on a short term basis. Anyhoo...I had a very interesting first day! My dear son is also in my class...something I've been looking forward to...something that him and I could do together...something important that I could instill in him. Trying to be the prepared and organized person that I am, I arrived early to set up my classroom and prepare for the lesson. I had my husband drop my son off closer to start time. I got to meet my two wonderful helpers...both of them excited to be part of my class and privileged of my child development background. I have a lot to show up to! I met Brandon for the trade off and Jackson seemed so excited about Wee Rock! The arriving activity is Play Doe...and Jack is the first to play. Everything is going well until the eight other two year olds arrive...and my son turns into an undomesticated child....literally! In his two years, 3 months of his life he has forgotten everything I have taught him! By the end of the class I really wanted to beat him....I spent more time...correcting him...breaking up brawls with him and other kids...retrieving craft materials from him...returning paper hearts that he had stolen from other kids....removing him from the tops of tables...turning off the water in the sink (why they have a sink at a childs level I will never know)...and trying to coax him to sit with the rest of the group. I was tired, exhausted, and most of all embarrassed...and no, I have never before observed this kind of behavior in him. I pretty much got Jack and ran out of there once all the other kids were gone. I got in the car and took a much needed deep breath. There were so many things that I wanted to say and do to him. But I began by asking him if he liked Wee Rock, he responded with "uh huh"....then I asked him what his favorite part was, he said "da wee rock". Although his behavior was completely unacceptable I tried to think of why he behaved the way he did...maybe he was jealous of the attention I showed the other children...maybe he doesn't know how to "play" with other children...maybe he needs to get out more often. I started telling him things that he did that were inappropriate...not listening, taking toys, pushing and hitting friends...and let him know that I was very upset with him, he responded..."I sorry mommy"...at least he was remorseful. Then I told him the things that I liked seeing him do. I had to think hard..."the heart you colored was so pretty,"....."and I am so proud that you tee teed on the potty."
So for now we will start out fresh...a new day...let's just hope that it's a better day....and let me just say that no amount of education and classes can prepare you for parenthood!

1 comment:

  1. Amen sister!!! I remember two instances specifically where James turned into something completely unlike himself. Oh.My.Goodness. Besides your kid being sick, there is nothing that feels as terrible and helpless as watching your kid go nuts! Totally frustrating. And if I'm being totally honest here, I usually don't handle it as well as you. I have an overwhelming urge to ring.his.neck... I don't... but I come very VERY (very) close to it. *So kuddos to you for keeping it together. And it's so nice that I'm not the only one who's been THERE before. ;) xo

    ReplyDelete